Amwell Volunteer Reserve Warden
We need a dedicated Volunteer Warden to be the face of our Amwell Nature Reserve and help with practical tasks and surveys.
ROLE TITLE: Volunteer Warden for Amwell Nature Reserve
RESPONSIBLE TO: Senior Reserves Officer or the Reserves Manager in their absence
RESPONSIBLE FOR: Amwell Nature Reserve
WORK AREA: SG12 9SS. near Ware, Hertfordshire
EXPENSES: Voluntary position – Reimbursement of out-of-pocket travel costs and other reasonable expenses agreed with the HMWT manager.
ANTICIPATED TIME CONTRIBUTION: 2-3 hours per fortnight. This post requires a minimum commitment of two years. Training courses could require weekday/weekend attendance.
ROLE PURPOSE: To be a face for the Trust out and about on the reserve and help with practical work. To visit the site as frequently as is convenient and report any problems to the Senior Reserves Officer.
- Show a wardening presence on this flagship site and represent the Trust to visitors.
- Regularly visit the reserve and report any problems or repairs to the Trust. Liaise closely with the SRO to ensure the site is kept presentable.
- Lead monthly weekend volunteer work parties on a Sunday morning (September-March)
- Assist with weekly livestock checks during the summer and autumn months
- Act as a day to day liason with the local community and reserve users such as birdwatchers, walkers and cyclists as appropriate.
- Help publicise events to the local community and users of the reserve
- Advise on revisions to the site management plan
- Attend Trust volunteer events (especially annual volunteer thank you) and training events for volunteer wardens, as appropriate
- Be willing to attend brushcutter and first aid training
- Be available for twice yearly meeting with SRO ( to include risk assessments, health and safety updates and appraisal)
- Support the planning and running of events on the reserve
- Undertake practical tasks on the reserve as set out in the annual work plans.
- Assist in the recruitment of volunteers to undertake work on the reserve, in liaison with the Trust.