West Herts Work Party Volunteer
We're looking for volunteers to help us with the practical management of nature reserves in west Hertfordshire. You will gain experience in habitat management, learn about the nature reserves and their wildlife, and meet a lot of friendly people with similar interests.
ROLE TITLE: Work Party Volunteer (West Herts)
PRIMARY LOCATION: On Herts and Middlesex nature reserves near Tring, with occasional visits to other sites.
ANTICIPATED TIME CONTRIBUTION: 5 hours per week
ROLE PURPOSE: To provide practical assistance to the reserves staff with the management of trust nature reserves.
To assist the Reserves Officers on a weekly task, that is organised every Wednesday, with occasional additional dates where necessary. This task is supervised by the Reserves Officer, with advice and encouragement where appropriate.
- To undertake conservation work such as woodland, grassland and wetland habitat management and construction and installation of fences, gates and stiles.
- To use hand and power tools and other machinery that the individual has received training in.
- To be aware of health and safety regulations while working with the Trust.
- To assist the Reserves Officers in tool and vehicle maintenance.
RESPONSIBLE TO: Reserve Officer
EXPENSES: Reimbursement of out-of-pocket travel costs and other reasonable expenses agreed with the HMWT manager.
SKILLS OR EXPERIENCE NEEDED:
- An interest in wildlife conservation.
- Confidence to use hand or power tools and go through the training required to use them.
- Reasonable fitness.
- An up to date tetanus jab.