Wild Snaps 2021
Get your camera at the ready...
Wild Snaps is back! After the success of last year's inaugural competition, our Wild Snaps photography competition is back this year, launching on World Photography Day, 19th August 2021.
The competition celebrates the wonderful wildlife of Hertfordshire and Middlesex and is open to keen amateur nature photographers of all ages. We want to see your best pictures of any native species of habitats found in Hertfordshire and Middlesex - big, small, common, rare, weird or wonderful - we want to see it!
Last year we received over 150 entries and the competition was very stiff - check out last year's winning entry by Barry Lockwood.
How to enter
Entries for the competition must be submitted through the form below open from 19th August until 16th of September. After shortlisting, all remaining entries which meet the competition t's and c's will be moved forward to an open vote.
The overall winner receives:
- A £300 voucher for Opticron equipment
- The winning photo will feature on the cover of the winter edition of Wildlife Matters, the Trust's membership magazine.
- A winner's certificate
The two runners up each receive:
- A Wildlife Trust WT 8x21 binocular
- The runners up images will be published in Wildlife Matters, the Trust's membership magazine.
- A highly-commended certificate
All shortlisted images will be put to a public vote from 20 September - 04 October. Among all those who vote, one lucky person will win an exclusive one-to-one Smartphone Safari, kindly donated and provided by Jet Black Squares.
Here are last year's top 30 wildlife images.
We are very grateful for Opticron for their generous support of Wild Snaps by way of donating the main prize.
Founded in the UK in 1970, Opticron is a family-owned business with fifty years experience of designing, manufacturing and selling consumer optics. Whatever your age, budget or experience we aim to always provide you with the best mix of quality, choice and value plus the best customer service possible.
Our maxim “smaller, lighter, brighter, sharper” is the driving force behind the compact and lightweight equipment we offer. This focus helps us deliver innovative products such as our range of MM travelscopes and fieldscopes and the super lightweight Traveller BGA and Imagic IS binocular range.
We are very grateful to Jet Black Squares for their generous support of Wild Snaps by way of donating the voter's prize.
Jet Black Squares runs Smartphone Safaris (smartphone photography masterclasses) in Hertfordshire and London showing you how to get the best out of the camera in your pocket. Not only are Smartphone Safaris a great way to learn how to take better photos without having to spend a fortune on new equipment, but also a way to get out and about either with the family, as a couple, on your own or as part of a group. A fantastic, generation-spanning activity for everyone.
Rules, terms and conditions
Please read all the rules and terms and conditions before entering the competition.
- Pictures must be taken in Hertfordshire or Middlesex or must depict wildlife that can be found in these counties.
- Images must represent the natural environment and therefore, images of animals raised or held in captivity or pets are not eligible (including livestock).
- A maximum of two photographs per photographer may be entered.
- Amateur photographers only.
- Images must not contain identifiable people.
- No wildlife or habitats should be harmed, put at risk, or unduly disturbed in the process of taking photographs - submissions that appear to have been created in a way that breaches wildlife law are not eligible.
- The detail of the photograph should not be altered, e.g. by adding or removing an insect from a bird’s beak.
- Images captured with a drone or similar technologies are not eligible.
- By entering your image, you grant to Herts and Middlesex Wildlife Trust the non-exclusive right to reproduce it for any purpose at any time in any media with attribution. Please see full terms and conditions below.
- Entrants under 18 must have parental or legal guardian consent prior to entering the competition.
- Herts and Middlesex Wildlife Trust accepts no responsibility for entries which are lost or corrupted during upload.
- We cannot judge any pictures whose details have been entered incorrectly.
- No correspondence regarding the results will be entered into.
- There is no cash alternative to the competition prize.
- We reserve the right to refuse any entry to the competition for any reason.
Terms & Conditions
The use of drones
The recreational and non-commercial use of drones on Herts and Middlesex Wildlife Trust nature reserves is not permitted. Drones can cause a disturbance to wildlife and therefore, images captured by drones or similar technologies will not be eligible to enter this competition, regardless of where they were taken.